If your looking to do house renovations later this year or early next, this article is for you? We’ll guide you on simple and more comprehensive ideas for budding home renovators.
🏘️ What are Renovations? Why Consider Them?
Table of Contents
Renovating a home or space means that you’re making upgrades, updates, or other changes to an existing structure through demolition and construction. Usually, this will increase the home’s value or make or make it a more comfortable space to inhabit.
Those are the two biggest reasons to consider them. The costs of these changes can often be offset by whatever value is added to your home. The other is to live more comfortably in your home.
What constitutes an upgrade of this type may include painting the walls, installing new floors, tearing down walls, replacing appliances, and much more.
Depending on your budget, you may be able to make minor, affordable upgrades or something more drastic. Next, we’ll look at some home renovations ideas that can fit a variety of budgets.
💲 Budget House Renovations Ideas
You don’t have to spend a ton of money to refresh your home and transform your space. Here are some beautiful ideas for upgrades that won’t break the bank.
- Paint: A fresh coat of paint can make a room feel brand-new. A few Litres of colour and all the supplies usually cost less than $200.
- Add Cornices: You can easily add beautiful cornices yourself.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient appliances: Did you know that an old dishwasher can waste 2000 litres of water a year? This kind of upgrade costs a lot of money, but the savings will add up over time. Best of all, they look sleek and modern. (Review their benefits).
- Refinish wood: Like applying paint, sanding and then finishing wood cabinets, floors, and other wood features are inexpensive, not too labour-intensive, and can make them look new.
- Add a backsplash in the kitchen, retile the shower in the bathroom, or install new, modern doorknobs: By making minor upgrades such as these, you can significantly impact the appearance of the space.
Sometimes even minor jobs are more manageable when you consult or hire a builder or a renovation contractor to help you.
📊 Renovations That Add Serious Value
While the following changes certainly cost more money than those we listed above and may necessitate hiring house renovation contractors, it’s worth it. Luckily, there are several reputable builders in the Gold Coast region, and they have the potential to add serious value to your home as long as they’re done right.
- Landscaping: Look outside for significant improvements. This one is perfect if you’re planning to sell any time soon. Realtors will tell you that the first impressions of potential buyers matter a great deal.
- Convert the attic into another bedroom: Adding a bedroom is a big deal for your home’s specifications. What’s more, you have the potential to increase your square meterage and living space.
- Replace the windows: While this might not be the most visually transformative upgrade to make, it has several significant benefits. They’ll help better insulate your home to save on energy bills. That can also make your home quieter and improve the air quality in the house. Finally, new windows add value to your home.
- A minor bathroom upgrade: A complete bathroom overhaul can get rather pricey, but a little remodel can also make a big difference. Go with one significant change, such as adding a walk-in shower or replacing the countertops and sinks.
👍 Splurge Upgrade Ideas
If you have some extra money to spend on your home updates, we have some big ideas, too! You’ll almost certainly need to hire a professional for these types of changes, but it’s well worth it in the end.
- Major bathroom update: We already talked about a minor update, but a significant bathroom update can start all of your days better if you have the funds to do it. Replace all of the appliances and fixtures, put in tile floors, and more.
- Major kitchen update: As with a significant bathroom update, a big kitchen update can add thousands of dollars of value to their homes. New appliances, cabinets, floors, and countertops make a huge difference.
- A new roof: While not a big cosmetic update, a new roof — if needed — adds a lot of value to your home, and it also cuts down on energy costs and makes your home safer.
- Create an open floor plan: Are your living and dining rooms and kitchen compartmentalised and separated by walls? If so, you may be able to hire professionals to get rid of some of them. Open floor plans foster a sense of family togetherness and make entertaining more fun.
- An addition: If your home could use another bedroom or living space, putting on an addition could significantly improve your quality of life in your home.
👷 Tips for Finding the Right Building Contractor
Before we wrap up, we want to leave you with some helpful hints for finding a reputable and responsible contractor in the Gold Coast area or anywhere else. Here are a few essential tips and things to look for:
- Try to get recommendations from friends and others who you know. If no one has any suggestions, read online reviews.
- Make sure that the company is fully licensed, bonded, and insured.
- Ask about past projects that are similar to yours. Ask for references.
- Allow companies to present proposals.
- Ask about contingencies, sub-contractors, timelines, and more.
⭐ Home Upgrade Success
When renovating your home or making upgrades of any kind, the most important thing is that the changes will improve your quality of life. Your home is your sanctuary, and it should be designed and function to your needs.
Determine your budget as well as the scope of the project that you’re willing to take on. Then decide what your home and your family need the most. Think about the near future as well, and how your family’s needs may change. Then you can start deciding which upgrades you most want to make.
Consider all of the ideas on this list, and then find the right professionals to help you do it right. Once your newly updated space is complete, you’ll scarcely remember how you got by without it.
(If you are looking within your local Gold coast municipality, this will provide Council guidelines. If you are within the NSW corridor and located within Ballina and Byron Bay, please review the Ballina shire council building and renovation guideline.)
One of the best things about owning a home of your own is being able to put your personal stamp on it in a way that’s not possible when you’re stuck renting. You may be interested in reading a further article on “Renovating Articles with our Article advice section – Enjoy”. Most articles are a 5-minute read 🙂
House Renovations can be the perfect solution for homeowners who would like to increase their living space in their homes. Please don’t delay, and let’s chat soon! Risen, your local renovator on the Gold Coast is only a click or call away, so please reach out to us today at 0404 REN OV8.